Sunday, February 13, 2011

What Valentines Day Has Been For Me....

    On February 16th, 2003, my beloved "D" died in my arms after a drive by shooting in Oak Cliff, Texas. Only a handful of people on this earth, since that day, still knows this...now all the world knows my pain.
    Like myself, there are many women that never 'let go' of their dead. Mine has haunted me for eight years, and I silently grieve for my lost around Valentines Day...and not to mention February 16th.
    Of course I have dated, but always sabotage the relationship to 'feel' better about 'not cheating' on "D"...I even mail a V-Day card each year, addressed to him, care of: "God" and always put my return address on 'just in case' he isn't up there..... (I know it sounds silly)
    But, not this year...I plan to move forward, put away his image to the back of my memory of a distant, but painful past.
    I don't have a valentines date, nor did I get a card....but its a brand new year, brand new beginnings, and who knows; my prince charming is somewhere out there waiting on me.
    I know "D" has passed on to a better and less painful place; I know he wouldn't care if I moved onwards in my walk through this world, and I am going on even if he isn't okay with it, because the day is for the living, the night is for the dead.
So, Happy Valentines Day everyone. Cherish the love you receive, you never know if it will be taken from you in a blink of an eye, on a cold and wet February night.